Austin Lane was named after Richard Austin who built the first cottage there in the early 1900’s. Located where the Muskoka River meets The Lake of Bays near the narrows, cottages on Austin Lane were among the first waterfront developments near Baysville.
Baysville was the second village settled on Lake of Bays, following Dorset. Named due to the proximity of 4 bays in the area, Baysville is located at the South end of Lake of Bays.
Surveyed in 1862 by Robert T. Burns, P.L.S., McLean Township was opened for settlement in 1868 under the Free Grants and Homestead Act of that year. The three lots of which much of Baysville is located were granted in 1871 to William H. Brown (1840-1920), a sawyer from the vicinity of Brantford. Brown, who filed subdivision plans in 1873 and 1875, built a sawmill which became the nucleus of the settlement. He served as postmaster of this community, 1874-1920, as reeve of McLean and Ridout Townships, 1876-85, and as warden of Victoria County in 1885. Baysville, well served by roads and accessible by steamboat, soon became a well-known resort for vacationers and sportsmen.
For more history on Lake of Bays visit:
Watch the video produced by the Lake of Bays Heritage Foundation on the history of Austin Lane.