Clovelly Point

Located near South Portage Road on Lake of Bays, the   history of Clovelly dates back to 1902.


It was on this point of land overlooking Lake of Bays, that James Tyrrell’s vision for a cottage community was built.  After dividing the land into 22 lots,  Tyrrell built a three cottages which he rented out, later selling what was left of the Clovelly lots  hoping to see his vision of a Clovelly Community emerge.  Serviced by the Steamship Iroquois prior to the building of roads, this cottage community is rich in history and represents an important part of the overall history of Lake of Bays.

For more information on the history of Clovelly, please see this document written by Jean L Robertson.

The Township of Lake of Bays, named after the main lake within the township borders – “Lake of Bays,” is comprised of four hamlets: Dwight, Dorset, Baysville and Hillside. It is located in north-eastern Muskoka beside world renowned Algonquin Park. With a permanent population of approximately 3167, the numbers swell in the summer season to about 11,327. The Township is home to 100 freshwater lakes, an abundance of wildlife, dense forested lands, rugged landscape, granite outcroppings and a natural beauty that none can surpass.

For more history on Lake of Bays visit:

Austin, Dorset, KerrimuirSeabreeze & Scott’s Boathouse.

To see current cottages for sale on Lake of Bays, visit out Lake of Bays listings page.


Watch the video produced by the Lake of Bays Heritage Foundation on the history of Clovelly Point.