Staging Your Property for Sale.
When selling your cottage, or home, it is important that it shows at its best- you won’t have a second chance to make that all important first impression. Below are a few ideas to help get your property ready for sale.
– When selling, pay attention to the landscaping. Make sure that the approach to the cottage and the driveway are free of debris, leaves, or snow. Keep the grass cut and pathways clear.
– Put a fresh coat of paint on the front door, don’t forget about the trim.
– Add seasonal flowers to existing planters or consider placing planters, if there is room, at the front door.
– Add a wreath to the door.
– Wash the windows, inside and out.
– Power wash the deck and siding, touch up any peeling or chipped paint.
– Replace any broken or rotting deck boards.
– Ensure that the waterfront is tidy and welcoming. Consider a couple well placed Muskoka chairs, create a space buyers can imagine themselves relaxing and entertaining in.
– Ensure that all exterior lighting is in good working order.
– Mark the lot lines.
Staging your property for sale Inside
– A clean, clutter free interior gives the impression that the home is well maintained. As such it is important to:
– Declutter, declutter, declutter.
– Remove personal items such as family pictures, signs, awards or certificates.
– Remove lights and decorations which hinder the view from the windows.
– Put away the toys.
– Touch up any chips in the paint, walls and baseboards.
– Redo the caulking in the bathrooms & kitchen.
– Fix any sticky locks, windows or doors, leaking faucets, fix any loose door knobs, broken light switches, running toilets or slow drains. Replace outdated shower heads
– Clear the kitchen counters of anything that is not essential.
– Deep clean the whole cottage- the carpets, the tiles, the walls, vacuum the furniture, the sliding door tracks, dust the baseboards, clean the light fixtures & ceiling fans.
– Thin the cupboards.
– Ensure that all the lighting is in good working order. If there is a dark room in your cottage make sure it has a bright bulb in the fixture.
– Tidy and thin the garage & boathouse.
The time & effort spent preparing for the sale of your cottage will make it more appealing to potential Buyers. For a complimentary cottage evaluation and personalized tips on how to prepare your cottage for sale, call The Parker Team (we are RESA certified), or download our book.
We’re here to help! Read our blog debunking common selling myths.